View Single Post
Old 11-30-2008, 08:57 AM
Apprentice

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenulia View Post
Wow, this thread died without me? Or because of me?

Anyways, regarding the individual subclasses:

Meijin: Used to have nothing, now one of the best(Half NR works on everything, right?)
It's full NR. It's one of the best for pk, the only offensive subclass ability.
Quote:
Shisou: Antei of Formation, but for agility, and better up/down ratio. With the change to Hakanai Shouten, this gets ridiculous pretty quickly. Only the cost keeps it in check(barely).
Here, you appear to be talking out of your ass.
1. The cost is prohibitive for anything outside of pk.
2. We don't use hakanai shouten that much. We're prevented 21 minutes at a time from whispering wind.
3. With 320 base wisdom (yes, I stoned that shiz), I'm pulling maybe an extra 15-20 dexterity from antei of hakanai shouten. That's hardly "gets ridiculous pretty quickly".

Amassed is an agility boost up slightly less than half the time if you're willing to burn the endurance. It's hardly a game-breaking amount of agility since it's tied to wisdom. If it were tied to dexterity, I'd be impressed. It's not.
Quote:
Mahoutsukai: Useful vs anyone relying on buffs. But given how long fights last these days, even with battle-lock, someone could still step out long enough to rebuff and get back in the fight before the prevention is up.
This was good even before the battle locks. If someone can step out long enough to rebuff, either you're dealing with multiple opponents or you've messed up.
Quote:
Mist Warrior: I shouldn't even have to mention why this is crappy. Upgraded Speedwalk !worth unique skill slot.
The mist thing is a toy. If it were for a class without regional deception (like warlock), it'd be better, but I've seen one of the best players using this ability, and I'll agree that it appears to be more entertaining than useful. Worth pointing out is that mist warriors, like shisou, have access to unka. Unka isn't huge, especially with the ubiquity of battle locks, but it's still something.
Quote:
Ijiwaru Joufu: Like Shisou, but suckier. Honestly, the last time I saw one of these, it was Basara, half a decade ago. At 5 seconds of intense pleasure(or pain), with some 20 minutes of prevention, it's no wonder he stopped playing(or changed name/class).
I don't think he quite just because his subclass sucked. That's what changing subclasses is for. I'll agree that this subclass is made of tragic.

Quote:
Summary: Unka to be spread among all the subs. Amassed Reflexes, I see as more suited for being a general buff for all(no idea what to give Shisou in replacement). Ijiwaru: Needs total overhaul. Mist Warrior: Something other than CSS would be nice.
Given your recommendations, it doesn't make any sense that you haven't gone Shisou. Seriously, I don't get it. Your ability sucks, you think amassed is a godsend, try it for yourself.

I don't think unka being spread among the subclasses is a great answer, but blurred movement really needs to stop sucking so bad. It has a flat 50% failure rate, which is -terrible- on a class with vanish.

I think we have to remember that most classes don't have fleshed out subclasses. Monk subclasses, for example, are in worse shape. Suggestions are helpful for future reference, perhaps, but I think best brought up in the context of a review, as I doubt either dev would consider fixing up subclasses as a high priority.

I don't remember N ever doing a substantial subclass overhaul; other things have always come up and there have been piecemeal fixes at most. So my guess is that he isn't directing his focus in this area yet. I personally consider overall class fixes and balance more pressing than subclass issues.

tl;dr version - It's 3 sun stones, cough it up.