Official Nodeka Board  

Go Back   Official Nodeka Board > Nodeka > General Discussion > Suggestions

Old 01-13-2008, 08:43 AM
Administrator

Default Item Durability

Maybe some of you will like this suggestion, but maybe some of you wont.

One thing that might help the economy on Nodeka a bit more and make the need for supply and demand a bit better is putting Item Durability on items. An item can have a max of X durability and over time the durability decreases. Once the durability of the item becomes 0, the item is considered to be broken and you no longer gain the stat bonuses of that item. To make use of that item again you need to goto the blacksmith and get the item repaired, and the cost of repair could depend on the value of the item.

Where what I\'m talking about comes in, about leveling the economy for supply and demand, is that after so many repairs, the effectiveness of your item starts to fade, or in other words, the item starts loosing bonuses.

I\'m not saying that item would be useless within a couple of weeks or something, i mean after about 8 months of use or so, the effectiveness of the item starts to fade gradually, and by that time the user should start looking for a replacement item.

Doing this in collaboration with having SU weeks, could stabilize the economy so it doesn\'t flood it. Cause eventually the SUs would break and become useless.

Nodeka411.net Administrator
Old 01-13-2008, 02:11 PM
Administrator

Default Re:Item Durability

I think I need to kill you now.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:40 PM
Hero

Nemesis wrote:
Quote:
Maybe some of you will like this suggestion, but maybe some of you wont.

One thing that might help the economy on Nodeka a bit more and make the need for supply and demand a bit better is putting Item Durability on items. An item can have a max of X durability and over time the durability decreases. Once the durability of the item becomes 0, the item is considered to be broken and you no longer gain the stat bonuses of that item. To make use of that item again you need to goto the blacksmith and get the item repaired, and the cost of repair could depend on the value of the item.

Where what I\'m talking about comes in, about leveling the economy for supply and demand, is that after so many repairs, the effectiveness of your item starts to fade, or in other words, the item starts loosing bonuses.

I\'m not saying that item would be useless within a couple of weeks or something, i mean after about 8 months of use or so, the effectiveness of the item starts to fade gradually, and by that time the user should start looking for a replacement item.

Doing this in collaboration with having SU weeks, could stabilize the economy so it doesn\'t flood it. Cause eventually the SUs would break and become useless.
Its a good concept that works great on some muds, I don\'t think it\'ll ever work on nodeka. If you told me that my demon rattles would no longer be useful after 8 months... I don\'t know what would happen but it would not be friendly.

This system would present many problems in nodeka, very rare items becoming useless is not a good thing. Good idea- bad implementation for nodeka.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:44 PM
Hero

On a side note regarding super unique items- SU week will continue to happen as it gives new players a chance to compete with older players in terms of equipment hit/dam/nr/ etc.

Perhaps crafting will eventually take over the equipment market and then players will not be needing a SU week and nijlo will stop having them.

It is going to be up to Crafting and future builders to ensure that nodeka has item\'s which will be wanted and competed for.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:09 PM
Apprentice

I don\'t like the idea of item durability. There seems to be no reason or need to introduce it on Nodeka.

On the other hand, doing something like removing the rk rules would totally make things interesting.

(Only semi joking about that).

-Iblis.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:07 PM
Hero

Iblis wrote:
Quote:
I don\'t like the idea of item durability. There seems to be no reason or need to introduce it on Nodeka.

On the other hand, doing something like removing the rk rules would totally make things interesting.

(Only semi joking about that).

-Iblis.
Once nemesis gets the polling features re-added I believe it would be time to start an RK rules polll and see what Nijlo thinks.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:19 PM
Hero

Visit: for the rk poll! ( its also in the suggestions forum)
http://<br /> http://www.nodeka411....tid=4&id=61#61
Old 01-14-2008, 05:10 AM
Wanderer

Hey.

Item durability is not a good idea - Instead of balancing the market, it might potentially cause the opposite effect. As it is, decent items are fairly expensive to a medium/small sized player. What would probably happen if this is implemented would be the big players that can run the items would hord them for themselves, or sell them for a profit. Not only that, as the item effectiveness wears off, there would be mounting pressure on the person losing the item to pay more, driving up the cost of the item and causing more hording.

The idea, though it has its merits, should be thought over carefully

:kiss:
Old 01-14-2008, 05:37 PM
Administrator

Good enough, I\'m just worried that having all these SU weeks would flood the market too much with SU eq.

Nodeka411.net Administrator
Old 01-14-2008, 05:43 PM
Apprentice

Unless crafting eq surpasses superuniques by next year, SU weeks need to be held continually to allow everyone access to SU pieces rather than only older players.

If crafting eq does surpass current SU eq by next year, then SU weeks could be stopped and no more held, because they would be unneccesary to mantain the balance between newer and older players.

That dumb bad guy from the Incredibles said it well, \"When everyone is super, no one is.\"