Official Nodeka Board  

Go Back   Official Nodeka Board > Nodeka > General Discussion > Suggestions

Old 08-03-2008, 07:37 PM
Wanderer

Default Monks...

Since my return, i decided to go monk, to my surprise ALL the stances can be active, no complaints here , however to me it seems a tad weird that i can occupy the different stances all at the same time.

So i reckon, if the "stances" could potentially be relabelled "Styles" as it's possible to mix/blend different styles together.

Then that got me thinking what if, monks could have some sort of "stance" system, to achieve different things, something along the lines of...

1) Crane stance = improved accuracy/, but lower damage
2) monkey stance = improved agility/quickness, but reduced number of attacks.
3) snake stance = improved damage, but reduced accuracy

Not to say that monks NEED this addition to the class, it would be something cool to actively switch during combat. Plus if it did get implemented, then nerfing the existing stances, would typically be warranted.

Flame, if your brave

Blitzkrieg
Old 08-10-2008, 04:33 PM
Hero

I like the idea of blending stances- I don't think it is needed at this time though.

Also, I don't suppose I see the point in the stances you listed out. Mostly because it seems like an overall tone would have to happen for those "styles" to be needed.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:38 AM
Novice

Hm, another alternative might be:

"Stances" are the short-term "win" prevents monks currently have

"Styles" implemented as more long-term buff decisions which affect the monk's fighting style (example, a monk in "Eastern Wind" style would have more effective vicious fists, a monk in "Drunken" style would be difficult to hit and deal random powerful blows, etc.)

However, "stances" would be restricted if a monk is currently in a specialized "style" - for example, "Mantis Stance" might be unusable in "Eastern Wind" style, "Dragon Stance" unusuable in Drunken, etc.

No real nerfs would be necessary in that case, just decisions which provide benefits at the cost of certain options
Old 08-11-2008, 01:46 AM
Novice

Although, to chip away at my previous post, I do agree with Odinn that monks aren't really in dire need of much work right now. They seem kind of simplistic/one-dimensional, but that's not necessarily bad considering that they're also decently high on the buffness scale (yeah not as high as some of the more out-of-control classes, but still above many).
Old 08-11-2008, 02:14 AM
Hero

Rar I like you addendum to Blitz's ideas. Currently do they need it? No.

Would it be cool and add in lots of play style? Yes.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:18 AM
Novice

Default Monks

I think that for the most part stances played a big role as a prevent skill in pk before many players hit 35-40k health and beyond. Dragon and Hao'tien stances have little usefulness against "big" players in pk. In fact, I only use hao'tien as a buff to max Stance of Symmetry.

Mantis: useful for basic running and because of short prevent helps with pk.

Dragon/Hao'tien to short to be anything but minor buffs or to maximize every bit of damage out of player. I for one would like to see them changed/removed and altered into the "styles" mentioned above. I think that less powerful, but longer lasting prevs like many of the other classes buffs makes sense.

As everyone knows, I would love a Drunken Monk subclass.

Just a few cents, mabey just a half a cent.

Berengei
Old 08-26-2008, 02:38 PM
Novice

B I agree with you, but lets face the facts, I would say that 80% of skills/spells are still based on character size 4+ years ago, nodeka is a whole different game now, and people are seeing now that skills/spells affects/prevents are so outdated nowadays, though I was never a real big fan of locks for all classes, they are however useless against 50k+ chars, unless timed exactly right, being the character is close to dead, but the use of glacious stones pretty much cancels that out anyway, also take a look for example at the hex combinations, while yes they are nice skills to have, hex of menjith USED to be a worthwhile spell to use, now for the 2 minutes it lasts, people can just tank through it, and constricting hex? I mean seriously the affect is nice but who can't outtank 20 seconds? The whole system needs to be looked at if you ask me and bring outdated skills/spells to complement the growing character size, instead of adding new things fix the foundation first.

T
Old 08-26-2008, 05:30 PM
Wanderer

I'd love to see a pwipe and everybody start back over, but so many players would quit if that were to happen. The only alternative that the immortals have now, is to keep buffing everything to keep it in balance.