Official Nodeka Board  

Go Back   Official Nodeka Board > Nodeka > General Discussion > Suggestions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-10-2010, 09:59 PM
Apprentice

Default skill costs

In the modern era of nodeka, pools are relatively cheap and easy to come by. It doesn't take too much time or effort to run enough endurance/mana/spirit to run or PK without ever running out. The skills in the game are generally designed for a much smaller pool base. I'm sure some of you remember when running out of a pool was a common occurrence.

Should skill/spell costs be re-evaluated? I think the really powerful ones that are basically "I win" skills or the ones that radically change a battle (bleed, dreynan, full heal, fade, forge to name a few) should be changed to use a % (up to 50%) instead of a fixed number. If you use a skill that turns your opponent into a punching bag or quadruples your damage or makes you invulnerable, there should be a real cost. If your class has 3-4 of these and you use them all, you should run a real risk of running out of X pool before the fight is over. With people being able to ascend to multiple sub-classes (and multiple big skills/spells), this is much more relevant.

For regular skills (spammables, buffs, etc blah blah), maybe the cost to use should go up with training % (e.g. 200% training = 200% cost to use). For most skills/classes, that doesn't mean much as the most commonly used skills, such as spammables, generally don't have a high cost anyway.

The general idea here is to get beyond the "train 20k in pools and be done" and require at least some thought/risk that if you spam out all the uber-skills at one time, you run an actual risk of burning out through the course of a fight. At the very least, suffer the endurance penalty or the evasion/pool comparison penalty. It adds a bit of strategy instead of the "spam all" hotkey.

Iron