Official Nodeka Board  

Go Back   Official Nodeka Board > Nodeka > General Discussion > Suggestions

Old 10-29-2009, 05:48 AM
Novice

Default Extinct Races

Just wondering what you guys think are the most infrequently chosen (or not used at all) races and why.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:11 AM
Apprentice

because different races benefit different classes differently...as much as i would love to go liche lord, the stats suck for a fighter class...chances are, most people are races that would help them run faster...so yeah...
Old 10-30-2009, 12:08 AM
Apprentice

Imo i think races that are less chosen have combo of stats that don't really fit into their class. Perhaps those races don't fit in any class?
And even if those class has way unique racials maybe it doesn't outweigh the needless stats?
________
VAPORIZER QUESTIONS

Last edited by grimm; 03-10-2011 at 02:54 AM.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:26 AM
Novice

I think we're way, way better in terms of racial diversity than we were before the series of revamps. Not every race is represented, and some are more popular than others, but we're looking at a good spread right now. I don't think "extinct" is a fair characterization for more than a few races (which, not uncoincidentally, are geared more towards PvP than PvE).

I'd call Koj'ehr, Jerowae, and Jadior as being at the bottom of the ladder right now. (They're by no means worthless, just unpopular for various reasons.)
Old 11-05-2009, 05:13 PM
Apprentice

Jadior is somewhat unpopular because of its rather limited utility(seeing as only 2 classes utilise the one thing that makes the race unique). Stuff like Time-bending/walking, or Cloaked/Invisible, being more general in utility, tends to push races having such abilities to the forefront. By the way, does the Regional Deception/Stealth hit bonus/penalty apply to racial Blending?
Old 11-06-2009, 09:29 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenulia View Post
By the way, does the Regional Deception/Stealth hit bonus/penalty apply to racial Blending?
I'm curious as well.

I think oji-oem is the only race I dislike as a race/concept. I don't like spirit shield on a willpower race, and the holy vulnerability can be a big deal. If it had wisdom, I would say it's not a bad valkyrie/nojohr/hunter race. The spirit shield is a detriment; without a siprit shield, it would be an interesting race for many classes (especially ninja), but as is, I can't think of a single class where I would choose oji-oem as my race. Rhras is simply better because mana shields aren't a handicap in the way that spirit shields are, and I think that's a problem.

I think jerof and gaa'el are less popular because they are pk races, and most players prioritize run speed when selecting a race. In many respects, jerof is just the defensive version of hobbit, although for all the classes with parry (and come on, choosing jerowae over thain without parry is crazy) I would personally choose another race. However, jerof isn't an unreasonable race, which is the way I feel about oji-oem.

I know everyone's experience with races is different, and there's always the enjoyment of the concept of a race. Your mileage may vary, and of course, times change.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:19 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syveril View Post
snip... I can't think of a single class where I would choose oji-oem as my race. ...snip.
Mjol of the Red

Fixed.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:26 PM
Apprentice

Oji-oem does sort of fit Ninja. The Spirit Shield means you don't have to train Mana, and Ninjas seldom use Spirit outside of buffing, and the Trackless Movement covers the one form of sneaking that they lack, and rather lame, but the Flight(they fly, right? Been a while since I checked the race) compensates for the lack of flight in the class. Other than that, the race doesn't really have much going for it that would pull someone off a stronger-running race.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:18 AM
Apprentice

maybe u don't know how fast pool shields drop in battle. it'll suck if you have no spirit. unless you want to go oji-oem as a run race, u're better off with another race
________
Baha'I Faith Dicussion

Last edited by grimm; 03-10-2011 at 02:54 AM.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:46 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenulia View Post
Oji-oem does sort of fit Ninja. The Spirit Shield means you don't have to train Mana, and Ninjas seldom use Spirit outside of buffing, and the Trackless Movement covers the one form of sneaking that they lack, and rather lame, but the Flight(they fly, right? Been a while since I checked the race) compensates for the lack of flight in the class. Other than that, the race doesn't really have much going for it that would pull someone off a stronger-running race.
Buffing is a big deal. Do you not like buffing? I say oji-oem doesn't work for ninja from personal experience.