Thread: skill costs
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2010, 06:21 PM
Apprentice

Here are the ones that I can think of and why. There are probably others and I'm not going to suggest what % they should be at, that requires more intimate knowledge of the class and balancing it.

As Fenulia mentioned, most/all of these have no resistance/avoidance. Even the ones that are targeted are 100% and often leave your opponent standing there doing nothing for long periods of time.

(Consider the use of skill and spell to be interchangeable as to mean either/or)

Bleed/Dreynan: Arguably the 2 most powerful spells in the game. Not only do you remove your opponents ability to use skills, but with the endurance penalties, you give -25% hit/dam (which is not insignificant). Or you force everyone in the game to run much larger pools than they need. In addition, for Bleed at least, it doubles as a full heal. That is hugely powerful for a single spell.

Full Heal: Lets face it Fallads and Dajas are damn near impossible to kill if you can't stop them from casting or run them out of spirit/mana. Most of us don't have the first option. Putting full heal on a % would at least make the second a possibility. Stones are available to anybody. Getting down to mortally and then just resetting should be no small feat.

Fade/Silent Strike: Removing most/all of your opponents buffs is hugely powerful. Sure they may get their prevents back, but how many of those things can they reuse in combat and even if they can, they probably get 20+ seconds of buff lag to stand there and die.

Barrier Behest/Awakening of the Guard: "Neener neener neener you can't hurt me"/"I'm inveeeeeeencible". Enough said.

Forge: Has basically no affect on the barb, cripples any caster (not like barbs actually worry about any hitter).

Page: Not as effective as forge as it actually affects the wizard (no evasion, no unlimited sustain for pet), but still hugely powerful.

Spatha/Quiet Trident: forge/fade just for you! not as powerful, but still takes away your opponents ability to do anything.

Battle Learning: 40+ seconds where your opponent does not get a melee attack. Throw in that warlocks get battle lock (why?) and you get instant punching bag.

Constrict: Cut your opponents melee damage by 75% and double your damage. Turns any witch into a melee class and any melee class into a necro. I have yet to live long enough to see it wear off (40+ seconds).

Unearthly rapture: Cutting your opponents damage way down and then doing things like being hit for (10 for 10) for 50 (each) and countering (10 for 10) for 400 (each). Uhh YEAAAAH. I know they are underpowered in offense, but geskos hurt, you can't kill them and uhh overkill? And the damage goes up the closer they get to dead (just before they full heal).

Nefarious Combat Infusion: This is a lesser one. Can be a insanely powerful spell under the right circumstances, but very difficult to set up to reach the full potential of the spell.

Some others that would probably be minor candidates (and minor %s if done):
Waters of enfeeblement: (not as big of a deal due to the delay, but on top of everything else a witch gets, it could cause a little "pick and choose")
Silver Inferno: (much less so since it has been toned)
Bandit tactics of Enmeshing: (mostly due to the duration, prevents abuse)

There are probably some others that I am not thinking of at the moment. So feel free to remind me. In general, I don't think any generic damage/spammable should be subject to it. I think the cost for those should just scale with training %. The ones that I think should be subject to % cost are the ones that are generally considered OP or huge game changers. Where the use of one skill one time totally upsets the balance of a battle.

I don't agree with Fenulia on the following:

Tiaran: The doors thing sounds like a bug. Other than that, its just a damage skill and costs should scale with training.

Vorpal: Its another damage spell. Eating 10 of them between rounds sucks, but I can live with it. It shouldbe agg though. Every other room affect damage spell in the game is agg.

Malignant/Crit: I think these are fine. They are a footpads primary melee offense. However, IMO they should not leave an opponent with 1 hp. No class should be given a skill that allows for free RK of any coma player in a zone with agg mobs. I mean a footpad can RK someone in Ruushi, all they need is a dark merc (a level 10 mortal mob) to get a lucky kick, which even resisted, does 1 damage. I think these should stop at 1% instead of 1 hp. From a melee standpoint, even a player with 120k health would only be left with 1200 health. The footpad should be able to still kill the person. Just my 2 cents.