View Single Post
Old 10-01-2009, 11:49 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
Well yes class change better than more tones, but then I have always been on the side of improve the weak over tones.
Certainly reasonable minds can disagree, but I think that approach can exclude precise corrections.

For example, if one race is has too much damage, how can you adequately compensate other races? Adding damage to all other races disadvantages healing, and changes game balance with respect to classes with healing. Adding health to all other races would be impossible to balance between races/classes with different defensive mechanisms (between damage mitigation vs. avoidance vs. limiting vs. countering). Additionally, greater damage scales indefinitely, whereas health is an absolute quantity. If you try to increase NR on all other races, do you now tone all sources of !NR and 1/2NR? Even if you could balance everything through exhaustive tweaking in the realm of pk, isn't this race still advantaged in running?

And then, why would you go through this ridiculous exercise when one starts with the premise that one race has too much +dam? If that is the problem, it's silly to think that a developer would be unable to simply fix the problem itself rather than redesign the entire game around one race. Simply put, if one race is overpowered, then it should be toned.

I believe this principle applies to all aspects of a game. However, this is not to say I don't recognize some value to avoiding nerfs when practicable-- it's much more annoying to the player to have toys taken away than to start poor and have them slowly added later on. Over the years, I've noticed that Nijlo and now Whim have generally followed this principle. But whenever a true imbalance reveals itself, I'm a firm supporter of the measured and judicious application of the nerfstick.

Last edited by Syveril; 10-01-2009 at 11:51 PM. Reason: left out an object