View Single Post
Old 09-16-2009, 05:27 AM
Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
Not sure I mentioned anything about noobs and the like so please address that to those who did and while at it insults will lead to one outcome!

Now back to the issue, I get a little sick of just about every post on this forum asking for someone or something to get toned and in many cases by people who have not put in the effort... see initial post.
He was probably just a little offended at the tone of your reply, Serenity. I do notice a trend, intentional or otherwise, towards condescension to suggestions that probably discourages vocal contribution as much as any other factor. If we want discussion and improvement to take effect, we all need to take up the responsibility of fostering an environment which allows it.

To swing back to the original argument, I do agree with you to a point, Bihzad. I think rank would have been a good way of staggering access to the more powerful crafted equipment; however, that was not how it was implemented. Crafted gear has been around for about 2 years now, and over that time I have been extremely reluctant to make any significant changes to the system because of its nature - knowledge, research, and experience all make for a far more effective crafter, and I don't want to upset that foundation too much.

There are a few imbalances in the system (e.g., speed scaling), but I think it has for the most part held up quite well over time. I do want to address the imbalances, but I will not do so as a stopgap measure. Rather, addressing any imbalance will come when I am ready to seriously address crafting with an upgrade.

Either way, I do not plan on adding restrictions to base (current) crafting recipes. These will always be available as "crafted gear for everybody". Rather, I currently plan to implement the following as a focused development unit:
- Enhance crafting dialogues for speed and safety.
- Fix the long-standing bug which homogenizes crafting results on any item with wood as its primary material (thus greatly expanding wood-based options).
- Tweak any stat ratios that need it (probably just speed).
- Revise the material NPC trading system (Gerahf).
- Implement the first set of crafting specializations.
- Implement enhanced (new) crafted gear recipes, based on specializations and new materials. Here, I will explore the possibility of adding rank-limitations to this new gear (only).

Thus, these necessary imbalance and bug fixes will come in the form of a package upgrade (over time, of course), rather than isolated nerfs which people tend to resent. Current gear will remain unchanged, except in the case of tweaked stat ratios (which, as I mentioned, I have refrained from touching for the past two years), and no restrictions will be added. New materials will be a part of the new content as I introduce it (Invasion, Scar, Ramparts, Trials).

Anyway, that's the plan as it stands. I'll talk about it a little more on the 6S blog, when it's time. =) Thanks for your suggestions!