View Single Post
Old 05-01-2009, 12:07 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim View Post
All classes have evasion up to 50% now, based on con. :P That's hefty and annoying as hell.

Also, elemental-based attacks aren't subject to counters.

And why do monks have evasion?
1) Can you honestly say that caster's still need this advantage to survive because hitters kill them to quickly?

2) Elemental based attacks is basically just a few races.

3) If you really think the con based evasion is a sufficient balance, then let's take shields in the exact opposite direction. Make all damage (spells, elemental based attacks, etc) subject to shields, remove the ability of the actual evasion skill to evade shields, and leave it so that the only way for any damage to avoid them is based on the con bonus.

If you don't think things are unbalanced, here is an example. The "Invincible Angel" trial. These have the strongest shields that I have seen. I don't bother with this quest because it takes a full hour to kill 13 of them. Of that full hour, about 45 minutes of it is spent at recall healing. Why? Because as a pure hitter, I take 15k in damage per kill.... 14k of that is from shields (yes I have actually taken the time to add it up). Other hitters have told me they take exactly the same thing, 15k/kill. It is basically guaranteed damage. I have seen casters run the same quest fully in less than 10 minutes.

6 to 1 time ratio simply because of shields.

It is simple math though, if something has shields that on avg reflects 10% of the damage you do and it has 10x your health (or 20% and 5x or whatever).... there is no possible way to kill it 1 v 1. You cannot change your equipment to get better NR/AC, you cannot change tactics, you cannot increase/decrease the amount of damage you do, no matter what you do (short of massively increasing your health), you will do your health in damage to yourself trying to kill it (and that is ignoring it actually hitting back).

Is there an equivalent going the other way? There are !magic rooms. A few in Everglades and 1/2 of Rumil. Yay!! All fairly low level content. Shields get applied to a lot of the higher level content (DS, hades, SH). Do you think the caster classes would raise hell if DS were made !magic instead of all shields?